Holidays to be observed in BSNL Offices during the year 2023
File No. BSNLC0-A/14(14)/2/2020-ESTAB
Heads of Telecom Circles/
All Heads of metro Districts/
All Heads of Administrative Unit, BSNL.
Subject: Holidays to be observed in BSNL Offices during the year 2023- reg.
In accordance with Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions (Department of Personnel & Training) O.M. No. 12/5/2022-JCA dated 16th June 2022, it has been decided by the Competent Authority that the holidays as specified in the Annexure -I to this O.M. will be observed in all the BSNL Offices located at Delhi / New Delhi during the year 2023. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/her out of the list of Restricted Holidays in Annexure – II. As per corrigendum circulated vide O.M. of even no. dated 11.07.2022 (copy enclosed), Restricted Holiday on account Basant Panchami/Sri Panchami(SL.No.4 in Annexure ) has been shown to falling on 26th January, 2023 (Saturday), may be read as falling on 26 January, 2023 (Thursday)
2. BSNL Administrative Offices located outside Delhi / New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays as per para 3.1 below:
- REPUBLIC DAY
- INDEPENDENCE DAY
- MAHATMA GANDHIS BIRTHDAY
- BUDDHA PURNIMA
- CHRISTMAS DAY
- DUSSEHRA (VIJAY DASHMI)
- DIWALI (DEEPAVALI)
- GOOD FRIDAY
- GURU NANAK\’S BIRTHDAY
- IDU\’L FITR
- IDU\’L ZUHAA
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI
- PROPHET MOHAMMAD\’S BIRTHDAY (ID-E-MILAD)
3.1. In addition to the above 14 Compulsory holidays mentioned in para 2, three holidays shall be decided from the list indicated below by the Circle Heads of Territorial Circles in consultation with the Circle Staff Welfare Board and the representative Union and keeping in view the recommendation of the Central Government Employees Coordination Committee in the State Capitals. The final list applicable uniformly to all BSNL offices within the territorial jurisdiction of the concerned State shall be notified accordingly and a copy endorsed to the Corporate Office within a period of 4 weeks of issue of this letter and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in regard to festivals and dates as indicated.
- AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR DUSSEHRA
- JANAMASHTAMI (VAISHNAVI)
- RAM NAVAMI
- MAHA SHIVRATRI
- GANESH CHATURTHI / VINAYAK CHATURTHI
- MAKAR SANKARANTI
- RATH YATRA
- SRI PANCHAMI / BASANT PANCHAMI
- VISHU / VAISAKHI / VAISAKHADI / BHAG BIHu / MASHADI UGADI / CHAITRA sUKLADI / CHETI CHAND/ GUDI PADAVA /1st NAVRATRA / NAORAZ/ CHHATH POOJA / KARVA CHAUTH.
3.2 No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays, initially declared, subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
4 The list of Restricted Holidays appended to this O.M. is meant for BSNL Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi. The Heads of Territorial Circle in consultation with the Circle Staff Welfare Board and the representative Union and keeping in view the recommendations of the Central Government Employees Co-ordination Committee in the State Capitals may draw up separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance. However, the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are also to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi / New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of ldu\’l Fitr, Idu\’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions after ascertaining the position from the Govt. of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi / New Delhi, the Heads of Territorial Circles are authorized to change the date of holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments/ Union Territories, in respect of Idu\’l Fitr, ldu\’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date of the above occasions has to be declared at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement could be made through P.I.B/T.V. /A.I.R. / Newspapers and the Heads of Territorial Circles may take action according to such an announcement without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6. During 2023, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Sunday, November 12, 2023 (Kartika 21). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.e., on \”Naraka Chaturdasi Day\”. In view of this, there is no objection if holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on \”Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali Day) in the BSNL Offices in a State if in that State that day alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7. BSNL Offices which include industrial, commercial and trading establishments would observe upto 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day and Mahatma Gandhi\’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays / occasions may be determined by respective Heads of Circle themselves for the year 2023, subject to para 3.2 above.
(Keshav Kumar )
Assistant General Manager (Estt.II)