Eligibility for two family pensions – DOPPW Clarification
No. 1/1(45)/2022-P&PW (E)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel Pension & Public Grievance
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan
Khan Market, New Delhi-110003
Dated May 23, 2022
Subject:– Eligibility for two family pensions- clarification regarding
The undersigned is directed to state that representations/references have been received in this Department seeking clarification in regard to entitlement of a member if family for family pension from two different sources in respect of the same Government servant/pensioner, e.g. in respect of military service and civil service or in respect of service rendered in autonomous body and civil Government Department.
2. Before amendment of the erstwhile Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972 on 27th December, 2012, sub rule 13-A of Rule 54 of those Rules prohibited grant of family pension from the civil side to a re-employed military pensioner, if the military pensioner had opted for family pension for the military service rendered by him. Similarly, sub-rule 13-B of Rule 54 of those Rule prohibited grant of two family pensions to a person who was already in receipt of Family Pension or was eligible therefor under any other rules of the Central Government or a State Government and/or Public Sector Undertaking/Autonomous Body/Local Fund under the Central or a State Government. Sub-rules 13-A and 13-B were omitted vide notification No. 1/33/2012-P&PW (E) dated 27th December, 2012 (effective from 24th September, 2012). Thus the restriction on entitlement of family pension from two different sources in respect of the same Government servant/pensioner in such cases was removed by the aforesaid amendment notification. This position was also clarified vide this Department’s O.M. No. 1/33/2012-P&PW (E) dated 16th January, 2013.
3. The Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021 have been notified on 20th December, 2021 replacing the erstwhile Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972. Rule 50 of the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021 deals with family pension. This rule also does not provide for any restriction on grant of family pension from two different sources in respect of the same Government servant/pensioner.
4. In view of the above, it is clarified that there is no restriction in the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021 on grant of family pension to a family member from two different sources in respect of the same Government servant/pensioner, in cases referred to in para 2 above.
5. However, entitlement of two family pensions to a member of the family consequent on death of two different Government servants/pensioners shall continue to be subject to the restriction in sub-rule 12(a) and sub-rule 13 of Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
- All Ministries/Departments of the Government of India
- O/o the Comptroller & Auditor General of India
- O/o the Controller General of Accounts, Lok Nayak Bhavan, New Delhi.
- NIC-for uploading on Department’s Website