Fixation of Pay on Promotion in the revised pay structure : TN 7th Pay Commission
Government of Tamil Nadu
FINANCE [Pay Cell] DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No.311, Dated 23rd October 2017.
(Heyvilambi, Ippasi-6, Thiruvalluvar Aandu 2048)
OFFICIAL COMMITTEE, 2017 – Recommendations of the Official Committee, 2017 – Fixation of Pay on Promotion in the revised pay structure – Orders – Issued.
The Official Committee, 2017 constituted to examine the revision of pay and allowances has inter-alia made recommendations regarding the fixation of pay of Government employees on promotion in the revised pay structure.
2. In the Government Order third read above, the existing system of Pay Bands and Grade Pay applicable to State Government employees and teachers including employees of local bodies has been replaced by a new system of level based Pay Matrix and the Tamil Nadu Revised Pay Rules, 2017 has been notified. The Government after careful consideration of the report of the Official Committee, 2017 on the recommendation for fixation of pay on promotion has decided to accept the same and pass the following orders:-
Fixation of pay on promotion on or after 1st day of January, 2016:
3. The fixation of pay on promotion from one Level to another Level in the revised pay structure shall be made in either of the following two methods as may be opted by Government employee under eighth proviso of FR 22-B, namely: –
(a) on the date of promotion / appointment to the higher posts under clause (i) of the eighth proviso of FR 22-B:
One increment shall be given in the Level from which the employee is promoted and he shall be placed at a Cell equal to the figure so arrived at in the Level of the post to which promoted and if no such Cell is available in the Level to which promoted, he shall be placed at the next higher Cell in that Level.
For those who have been promoted from the lower Level, the fixation of pay in the higher Level will depend on the pay they were already drawing in the lower Level. For instance, if a person who was drawing Rs.31,300 in Level-8 gets a promotion to Level-10, his pay fixation shall be as shown in Table :
If a person drawing a Basic Pay of, say, Rs.85,800 in Level-26 is promoted to Level-29, the steps to arriving at his pay on promotion will be to first add one increment within Level-26 to arrive at Rs.88,400, and then fix the pay at Rs.1,23,400 in Level-29 i.e. the minimum pay,i.e. the first Cell in the applicable Level in the following manner:-
(b) Fixation of pay under clause (ii) of the eighth proviso under FR 22-B on the date of accrual of increment in the lower post:
(i) His pay shall be initially fixed from the date of promotion / appointment to higher post till his Date of Next Increment (DNI) in the lower post at the next higher Cell in the level of the higher post. He shall draw this pay from the date of promotion till the date of re-fixation of pay on the Date of Next Increment (DNI).
(ii) Government Servant shall have his pay re-fixed from the Date of his Next Increment accruing in the Level of the lower post as follows: –
Two increments (one accrued on account of annual increment and the second accrued on account of promotion / appointment to higher post) shall be granted in the Level of lower post starting from the pay last drawn in the lower post and he shall be placed, at a Cell equal to the figure so arrived, in the Level of the higher post; and if no such Cell is available in the higher Level, he shall be placed at the next higher Cell in the Level of the higher post.
An illustration on how pay shall be fixed as per (i) and (ii):
(iii) In all such cases where Government Servant opts to have his pay fixed from the date of his next increment in the Level of the lower post, the next increment in the higher post shall be after the completion of one year period of qualifying service from the date of refixation of pay under (ii) above.
(iv) It is further reiterated that in order to enable the officials to exercise the option within the time limit prescribed, the option clause for pay fixation on promotion / appointment to higher post with effect from date of promotion/ Date of Next Increment (DNI) shall invariably be incorporated in the promotion/appointment order so that there are no cases of delay in exercising the options due to administrative lapse.
REVISED OPTION BY GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE IN CERTAIN CASES:
4. The Government employees promoted / appointed to higher posts during the period between 1-1-2016 (i.e. from the date of implementation (notional)) and upto the day of date of issue of orders (both days inclusive) and also those employees promoted / appointed to higher posts prior to 1-1-2016 and whose next increment in the lower post fell due on or after 1-1-2016 in the revised pay structure may be permitted to exercise revised option within three months from the date of issue of orders under eighth proviso of FR 22-B to have their pay fixed either (a) under clause (i) i.e. on the date of promotion / appointment to the higher post directly under FR 22-B or (b) under clause (ii) i.e. on the date of accrual of next increment in the lower post.
5. The Government also direct that the authorities concerned shall fix the pay of a Government employee on promotion from one Level to another Level in the above manner.
6. This order issues with the concurrence of Personnel and Administrative Reforms [FR.I] Department Vide its U.O.No.35557 / P&AR [FR.I] / 2017-1, dated: 23-10-2017.
7. Necessary amendments to the Fundamental Rules will be issued separately by the Personnel and Administrative Reforms [FR.II] Department.
(BY ORDER OF THE GOVERNOR)
ADDITIONAL CHIEF SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT